Through the help of many friends and acquaintances, we have been able
to bring practical assistance to scores of impoverished adults and orphans
who live in central Romania.
- Sports Equipment, Games and Puzzles & Stuffed Toys for Orphans,
Poor & Handicapped Children.
- Candy Canes and Oranges delivered by 'Santa' to Orphanages & Poor
Villages; Distribute Gift Packs or Fun Treats whenever we visit.
- Coats, Gloves, Scarves and Hats in the Winter for Orphans & Poor
- T-Shirts, Shorts, Shoes & Warm-ups in the Summer for Orphans and
- Vitamins, Medicines, & Eyeglasses for Rest Homes & Specific
- Medical Supplies & Equipment for Clinics.
- Hair Care and Beauty & Personal Hygiene for Older Orphans &
- Toothpaste & Toothbrushes, Clothing and Shoes for Orphans, the
Handicapped, the Elderly, & Poor Families.
- Yarn, Sewing Supplies & Crochet Thread for Village Peasants.
- Small Hand Tools, and a Computer.
- Glasses for poor people: Hundreds of used
eyeglasses and non-prescription reading glasses have been distributed to
- Provided Silk Flower Arrangements to decorate
Orphanages and Rest Home. Residents loved our custom-designed corsages
- Provided 6000 seed packets for village gardens, complements of W. Atlee Burpee & Co.
- Provided a starter batch of 'seed potato' for village gardens, complements
of Kerns Rainbow Ranch.
Our stateside efforts include:
- 'Heart for Romania' provided Air Transportation and all arrangements
for 3 children and translators. 4-year old Andrada
and 11-year old Alex had a congenital hip dislocation;
Petre had severe burns. Medical intervention
provided by the Portland Shriners'
Hospital made all the difference: Andrada & Alex now can look forward
to walking for a lifetime; Petre's surgeries were not as beneficial, but
his real healing took place in his heart.
- We are facilitating arrangements to bring other children for orthopedic
and burn restoration. Air transportation will be necessary for the children
and a parent, as well as various 'maintenance' expenses for our foreign
- When we are stateside, we have made arrangements for the monthly continuation
of our Food Distribution Program in the Sibiu
area, thanks primarily to cash contributions from National
Education Association's teachers. Food bundles containing tinned meat,oil,
pasta, cornmeal, sugar, flour, and some sweet treats and fun snacks continue
to be distributed once a month for needy families. Salaries are so low
& food is so expensive - our 'care packages' provide welcome staples
throughout the year for poor widows and unemployed families suffering from
illness or disability.